Tuesday, September 21, 2010

World of Emotion

World of Emotion

There is nothing I would change about World of Dance with the exception of its title, as it would be more appropriately called, World of Emotion. My range of emotion during that hour and a half went from excited, to enlightened, to amused, and confused. All of this can be attributed to the costumes, colors, and backgrounds connected with each performance.

Before the first number began, the whole stage was dark and covered with fog. This created an automatic dramatic effect that kept the audience on the edge of their seats, wondering what was to come next. It was the perfect way to start off a performance, with the audience one hundred percent engaged. Further along in the show, there was a ballet performance where my emotions changed to calm and serene. The performers were all in delicate, free-flowing, pink costumes and had soft, sweet music that put me into a very tranquil state. Although ballet is difficult to do, it still gives the audience the allusion that they are effortlessly gliding through the air.

The serene feeling I had from watching the ballet performance however did not last very long. The background changed, upbeat music started to play, and out came six energetic dancers. The girls were all wearing bright colored, sequin-covered dresses and rhinestone overlaid shoes. The boys wore brightly colored ties with their outfits to match. If the choreographer wanted to exhilarate the audience with their performance, they undoubtedly accomplished it. I couldn’t help but want to get out of my chair and dance the whole time I was watching the upbeat dance. Near the end of the performance there was another ballroom performance, but with quite a different effect. It began with a single dancer on a dark stage with a spotlight who began with simple moves and was not very stimulating to watch- until plastic blow-up dolls made the appearance that is. Just about the whole audience burst into laughter when the dolls peeked out from begin the curtain. It only got more hysterical when the audience realized the dolls were attached to scooters and the real dancers were gliding across the stage with them. While it was undoubtedly considered dancing, the performance was still able to turn it into something absolutely comical.

Like all art forms, dance is an art that can be structured to instill any feeling within the hearts of the audience. To do this, the dancers used everything from costumes, to music, to dance styles, to props. Even though I already had a major appreciation for dance, it was amplified immensely through this performance.

8 comments:

  1. That's how I felt exactly! There was so much emotion involved! It's incredible how many feelings can come from watching a well done dance performance. I loved your adjectives and descriptions of the dancers, the feelings, the costumes, etc. Very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed your paper really well! While I was reading it, I was like, "Oh hey! Me too!" I can still almost vividly remember exactly what parts you thoroughly described! Kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I don't know if anyone else was wondering, but why is your text blue??
    But considering your writing I felt the same way :) If the people that made the program were trying to get the whole audience to feel the same way, it worked! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your love for dance shows through in this piece. It is well-structured and illustrative.

    I'm with Jake, why blue?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judging by your comments in class as well as the blog, you seem to be more qualified than the rest of us on judging dance (no offense to any dancers out there that I'm not aware of). At the risk of plagiarism, this article probably means more to you than mine to me, or anyone else because you have that love for dance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And if the blue was simply to get noticed, good job. We might see a new trend of coloring our fonts to try and get noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even notice there was a color option until I put up my piece this time and I did it out of just wanting to change things up rather than try to get noticed. I realize I'm no Charles Dickens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, during the first performance I was flinching the entire time. I have to sweep and mop that floor they were dancing on and they were whacking it without mercy!!! You describe the emotion really well. Colors, music, the backdrop, and even the fog were taken into consideration.

    ReplyDelete