Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Shape, Line, Color

The first day in my AP Art History class last year we learned to analyze everything through shape line and color (it makes any good work of art, right?). I watched this with the same approach, because I really had no idea where to begin to write about it. I don't dance well, although I have participated in ballets (I tend to do the acting bits and skip out on dancing). My approach worked out well enough; I could talk about the brilliant colors that were used in the international dances, or the subdued colors used by the ballerinas, possibly the vivid palette used by the contemporary dancers; I could discuss the short choppy lines of the first dance used for rhythm, the long flowing lines in each of the ballets, the natural lines employed by the modern style. Unfortunately as I write this I don’t have a desire to do that, I don’t have much of a desire to do anything, in fact.

When I went to the performance I had just awoke from a nap that I had taken between World of Dance and an activity I had earlier Saturday morning. I was tired and late. Lucky for me there were some technical difficulties so I sat in my seat right as a man came out to welcome us and pray—I have never been to another performance where I have prayed before (sports don’t count), it was really interesting—I thought then I would be able to sleep, as I usually do when I go to any cultural events with my family. I didn’t sleep through this, not because I couldn’t (I’m adept at sleeping in chairs with loud noise), but because there was a lot to take in and it was well done, the mix of each of the styles of dance and all of the colors were enthralling. After all the dancing and colors and music I had a free afternoon and was really glad to get it over with. It was a good experience, but I wouldn’t go of my own free will, especially with so many other obligations.

6 comments:

  1. Good point. I think color is extremely important in dance. I just wish you would have given some more detail in your analysis. It seemed a little vague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with C.J. I had the same impression as a reader, but it's still a good paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the colors and variety in the dance. That's one of the only things that kept me watching. As far as choosing this over other things, I would have a hard time choosing this over mostly any other medias. Time is of the essence... Especially in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visually appealing, it was. You were honest. I enjoyed that.

    Anyone else see the dangling modifier? Busted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I showed my roommate, a linguistics (syntax) major and editing minor, the Grammar Nazis. He LOVED it! I've got a video to send to Kathy for approval and subsequent viewing along similar lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Mont said, I like how you were honest. I also enjoyed you giving some of your own personal background in AP art and how that influenced your approach.

    ReplyDelete