Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dance, dance, and more dance!

I've always loved watching dance performances. Something about them just warms my heart. Yes, I now that may sound cheesy, but it's true. Dance, for me at least, can express things that words can't always express. The World of Dance was no exception.
Each dance was powerful in it's own way. For instance: the scooter one. I know that one made me laugh till tears, but it was so brilliant! They added something to it (the dolls and scooters) that one would never think to see at a dance. Not only did this catch every one's eye, but it left them with a good impression.
Another dance, still powerful, but in a different way, was the ballet preformed to "High on a Mountain Top." While the other dance was to make you laugh and have fun, this one had a much more serious attitude. It made me stop and think, and it really went deeper than that; it touched my soul. Now I've never been all that enthralled by ballets, but I can appreciate a good ballet when I see one (especially because one of my best friends is a ballerina) and that was a good one!
Another thing that helps make a dance powerful is the costumes. If, for example, one of the the cultural dances the people all come on wearing everyday clothes that you would find one wearing here at BYU, it wouldn't be the same. You would think it was just another made up dance, but you wouldn't know that culture it was, or even that it was a cultural dance. The experience would be now where near as rewarding.
Another thing I really like about the dance was the lights and background images they had. Some of the more eccentric ones had brighter lights which helped set the mood. While others, ones that were more serious and calm, would have lights that weren't as bright and flashy.
All-in-all I really enjoyed the experience and if I had the chance I would definitely go see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment