Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hiring

Tammy,
I have received many text messages and several phone calls from my coworkers trying to get shifts off. We currently have twelve employees, (not counting your family) and only two can work during the day; myself and Carli. In my opinion Carli doesn’t meet the expectations needed to be a successful shift leader. She can't handle all the things that need to be done in a day shift. This past Sunday I had to come in and help her finish fruit, store and pours, ice cream, and she hadn't dipped waffles yet; she had been there for four hours already. I came in on Monday and had to do a "recovery" shift because Carli hadn't done anything the previous day; making her a shift leader isn't a good idea.

The best solution for this problem is to start hiring people that will be able to help you during the day in case I can’t come in. I can only work two or three times a week, but with the workload I am receiving from school; two would be much better than three. The people you hire would need to be out of high school and would need to be trained as fast as possible. Only two, (maximum three) should be hired; however, all must be trained as shift leaders. I believe if this happens, it will help all of the employees because they are currently complaining of working too many hours. During the summer months it is fine to have fewer employees because we want more hours. Now that there is school and extracurricular activities things have changed. I would appreciate your feedback and opinion. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Jake Hess

4 comments:

  1. Jake great job i enjoyed how you got straight to the point and were concise and even though you were making a point you weren't to hard on Carli. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake, I caught the use of colons in your sentences. Nice work!

    Your argument is well-done. You bring up a problem, but, like any good problem-solver, immediately offer a solution that is logical, reasonable, and practical. Were I your boss, I would have no qualms with taking your prescribed course of action. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Approximately one hour after sending my boss this email; she sent a text to every employee saying that we would be hiring on Monday. They are also going to speak with Carli about her work habits. Success!!

    ReplyDelete