Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Unsocial Neighbor - Please Don't Sit Next To Me

“Great…” I thought as the girl with her hair in pigtails and a giant, cheesy smile on her face sat next to me. “Well seeing how we’re sitting next to each other I’ll start the introductions my name is……...” I am like Dory on Finding Nemo with names; three seconds after she said it, it had been forgotten. I like to be punctual when I go to events; but I think next time I go to a play/concert I will be fashionably late. I arrived at the play fifteen minutes early which meant that I had fifteen more minutes of the “get to know you game” that people always play when they meet someone new. She continued to talk and I continued to listen to her high pitched squeal of a voice ramble on about how she loved going to dances and this was her second time seeing it and how all through high school she wished to be a professional dancer. I was not in the mood to socialize, flirt, or interact with anyone! I simply wanted to sit in my seat, and read the program.

I guess she thought it was her duty to share everything she knew about dancing with me. She explained that I should, throughout the show, look at the dancers’ upper bodies no matter how fast their feet were moving and picture myself doing it. I nodded showing I would acknowledge her proposition. She then told me about all the dancing classes she took when she was in high school, her goals for the future, and how hard dancing is. I said "Wow that's really cool" and looked away. I tried my best to sound uninterested but she just wouldn’t take the hint!

My stranger in seat S-27 continued to talk for another 5 minutes (which felt like 20) asking me a series of questions about my childhood: where I lived growing up, what did I used to do, etc. As I was answering, a rumbly in my tumbly gave me a horribly obscene solution to the hyper-social creature sitting next to me. For lunch that afternoon I had inhaled a large, cheesy piece of lasagna which had upset my tummy. My body was telling me to release a minor storm of flatulence and I thought this might the perfect opportunity to stop the conversation with miss talk-a-lot. Fortunately, I had enough decency to hold it back knowing that it would only cause embarrassment and inflict unpleasantness to all of my neighboring citizens. I endured the talking a bit longer and the show finally started! I didn’t hear another word come out of her colossal oral aperture. I’m sure she was enjoying the colorful and dramatic show as much as I was. I loved every dance number and was in awe at how gracefully they moved portraying their emotions to us. I would like to go to more dancing/visual art events in the future. However, my encounter with the girl next to me reminds me that I need to find someone that will go with me to these events to avoid another incredibly uncomfortable situation.

8 comments:

  1. That is hilarious. I have experiences like that all the time. More often, most likely, I am the "stranger" in the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha ya I am sometimes the stranger, but at that moment I was just not in the mood. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go with you Jake unless you think I am like that girl, then I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too funny. Most of the events, especially on campus, I like to watch alone. I think it is too great that she didn't get the hint too. What a fun night for you Jake! And good decision on holding it in. As tempting as I'm sure that was, you made the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CLASSIC! Holy cow! I attend events solo and often hope to sit next to a stranger of a more attractive and enigmatic nature. I usually don't luck out. Nor on transpacific flights. One day, though, one day.

    I feel like you didn't speak much about the show, but, according to the criteria, you expertly and creatively addressed all the key points. Clearly, to make the understatement of the century, this experience stuck out and had an impact on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassy, I would love to go to the next show with you :)
    And Mont, I am glad you agree that I followed the criteria, because I wasn't so sure when I was writing it. That's why I added the bit at the end about the show, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is so true! I hate when that happens! However, i would suggest adding a little more analysis of the actual dance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha I liked your paper alot sometimes i find myself on both ends of the situation. This was a well written and thought out paper, great work.

    ReplyDelete