Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nazis?

Greatness. What is it? The definition of greatness has limitless boundaries. One person could interpret it as a piece of art, literature, deeds, and the list is exponentially growing. Where is it? Greatness is everywhere. The true question is, "Is it ever noticed or acknowledged?" Often times, greatness is overlooked. What needs to be done to achieve, "Greatness"?

While brainstorming for this assignment, one thought was the emails Sister Cowley had shown us between her husband and a friend of his. I specially remember her starting her email, "I'm at Snow College. I'm pretty sure I have a C in my Biology class which is great for me!" In that case, what may be an average not too special grade to anyone else was exceptional for her! Greatness varies per person and is not always clearly defined.

We all think our families are great, right? We love them and they mean the world to us. Some may think, "My family is the best!" Are all families great or only our own family? Of course, everyone thinks their own family is great but I'm pretty sure everyone does not think that everyone else's families are great. The reason for that might be because everyone does not have perspective into the lives of other families.

Greatness depends on how many people are affected by something and in what way. For example, Martin Luther King was great because of how he forever affected his own and future generations in a positive manner. However, on the other side of the spectrum, Hitler was not great. Although he affected many people, it was in a horrible and negative manner.

Through my examples, I have given several different ways of interpreting, "Greatness". Greatness can be defined based on how it impacts the audience and what others' opinions and perceptions are.

6 comments:

  1. A little side note, I wrote the third paragraph but then wasn't sure if I should keep it or not. Suggestions? While I was writing this, I felt scatter brained! If you have any advice, I would appreciate it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the third paragraph! I think you should keep it! And I loved how you used the examples to show what greatness was! Very good (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. heh heh, I'm so glad you used that girl from Snow College as an example. In a positive way too! Nicely said although it was a little choppy. Trasitions are hard. I hate them too. Your conclusion was excellent though, nice little button at the end. i think you should keep the thrid paragraph, it's certainly applicatble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. although, I have to argue, Hitler may not have been "great" in the sense we are talking about but he was definitely powerful and influencial. Some would have labeled him as great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you talk about greatness from so many angles. It keeps the reader's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tittle and really good epitome of evil, a better example (hitler was a great speaker and manipulator, but not great in my mind) may have been Napoleon or Alexander the Great (now that I think about it writing a paper about men titled 'the Great'). If the fancy hit you you could have gone with Lenin or Marx as well.

    ReplyDelete