Thursday, September 30, 2010

What is Greatness?

_____Greatness means the condition, state, or quality of being great. What exactly is ''being great”? Many will say that being great means, to be good at something you do. I agree with that but I also feel that the statement is incomplete. Anyone can be good at something; we always hear that the “greats” are able to separate themselves from the rest so if everyone is good at what they do, according to the statement above does that mean that everyone is great? And if everyone is great then how do we know what greatness is, is there even a thing such as greatness?

_____In my opinion to be great is to be the best at what you do, but also to do it with a passion and love that pushes a person to a height that exceeds all others. In doing so it allows us to then separate ourselves and as my father would say, “Become men amongst boys”. To be great not only means to be good at what you do but to also love it as you do it, put time and effort into it, and to have the drive and motivation to be the best.

_____For me, when I think of greatness I think of my parents. I know I have done a paper on my parents already, but it just goes to show how highly I think of them. What make my parents great in my mind are all the sacrifices they make for me and my brothers and sisters, also their unconditional love towards us.

_____I am going to use athletes as an example, some well-known “greats” that a lot of us have heard about are Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Joe Montana, Rey Lewis, Tiger Woods and so on. What separates these athletes is not only how well they are at what they do, but also their whole mentality and lifestyle towards their individual sports. What made them great was the time and work they put in, the love they had for the games they played, and the drive to be the best at what they loved, therefore it showed when they performed.

_____In closing I will restate that Greatness is the condition, state, or quality of being great. To be great does mean to be good at what you do, but also to love what you do to the point where your goals, focus, and lifestyle is centered around being the best at what you love. In doing so it will allow you to be great and joining all the “greats” who have come before us.

1 comment:

  1. That's totally true, great people stand out because of their love for the things they do. I like how you give examples of great athletes, you're right, they're not just great for their talent at sports, there's something more to all of them.

    ReplyDelete