Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Playing Ping Pong With My Savior

I've never been much of a movie critique because I tend to get so into the story line that I fail to notice the filming and such. Therefore, for this movie, I went in with the intention of really focusing on the filming; however, it was no exception from every other movie I see and within minutes I had completely forgotten the filming and I was submerged in the story line. For this very reason I won't be discussing the filming, and I'll focus more on the story line.

The whole movie Smile is playing ping pong though it's obvious he doesn't enjoy it. At some points I felt bad for him because he was so pressured into doing it by the people around him that you felt he had no choice but to do it. Other times I was just frustrated that he would continue doing it when he wasn't happy. When you find out that he was doing it for Peco and when Peco finally beats him you know that that's what Smile wanted all along, and that's why he kept doing it. He never gave up on Peco even when Peco had given up on himself. It's such a good example of love for others and I can't help think of someone I know that is just as selfless and wants me to be the best I can be. Jesus Christ - my savior, my redeemer, my best friend - is always there trying to help me become the best I can be. But sometimes I forget this and I don't try as hard as I can. I know that when I finally reach my full potential then I - like Peco - will be happy, and Jesus - who, like Smile, is just waiting for us the whole time - will be ready for me and he'll truly be happy.

Now I'm sure the point of this movie wasn't to symbolize Christ, but for me it did, and I hope I can remember it and try to become the best I can, just like Peco.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for identifying gospel principles in a secular film. It is a particular hobby of mine. Your connections were well-founded. You employed ethos without logos taking the hit for it.

    I would recommend reworking some of your sentences; a few of them got a bit wordy. Otherwise, you were concise, clear, and had a solid basis for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was great! I loved the Spiritual connection that you made! I think directors still appreciate the connections their viewers make with the movie even if it isn't exactly what they wanted them to get out of it. As long as they made an impact, that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow way to pick that up out of the movie it was a touching spiritual example ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how personable your writing is, also impressive that you could pick that profound lesson out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you created meaning for yourself out of what you saw in the movie. I think that that's a side benefit of symbolic works is that besides the possible intended meanings of it, we can always find little gems for ourselves. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete