Saturday, September 11, 2010

To the Gentlemen

Every time a man holds my door open for me I say thank you. Sometimes it feels like the thank you is just a habit, so, I wanted to take an extra second to say that I mean it, every time. I wanted to say thank you particularly to the stranger who held my door when I was on my way to a class in the JFSB.

BYU's a big school, I'd imagine it can be a bit of a risk to hold the door for someone else because you might wind up holding it for a steady stream of people for five minutes, when you're in a hurry to get to class too! But it means a lot to the girls that someone is willing to show that little gesture of respect. At least, it does to me. Especially when it's a stranger. And I think it's a perfect example of the culture of respect that we would want to cultivate at BYU. It's a small action, but it's selfless. Especially when you do it for a girl you've never met before and probably never will. So, thank you. It means a lot to me.

4 comments:

  1. Ha great job! You brought up a great point it is definitely respectful and a great thing that people would go out of their way for others. Being a guy its a reminder that there are others who are on campus besides myself, and it wouldn't hurt a bit if i think of others every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still get surprised when someone far ahead of me waits to hold the door. It's so great that so many of the students are so polite and I feel the same way about it, and it's funny how such a small thing can make that day a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having that called to my attention, I'll have to be a little more conscious of it instead of just pushing the door open really wide as I walk in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I think that a letter to the editor is a great place to not just complain, but also to say what's working. And as Skyler says, it makes others think, "I should do that too."

    ReplyDelete