Monday, September 13, 2010

Government in Education

Senator Shawn Keough,
Government is essential to the order and safety of our country. In times of chaos or external attack, I want to be able to rely on the government to protect me, my family, and my freedoms. That being said, the role of government can become too large, and it has in several ways including it's role in public schools.

Keven Jennings, President Obama's Safe School Czar appointee, has no qualifications to run any school in the nation, yet he is in charge of curriculum and rules for all of America. The National Government gives the local schools money, but then turns around and expects them to do exactly what Kevin Jennings wants. (The money they give to the schools comes from tax dollars anyways, so it techniquely belongs to the people.) How does Jennings know what rules should be implemented in the small towns of Bonners Ferry, Idaho or Sandpoint, Idaho? He does not, which is why he will execute a national curriculum - every school will be ran the same way all over the country. That will not sit well in the constituent’s belly. As a voter and a senior at Bonners Ferry High School last year, I would feel more comfortable with my education decisions being made by those I have a direct link to in voting...the school board.

The local school board personnel were elected by the voting residents. As a result, they are informed on issues regarding what should be taught in their district and how the teachers should go about teaching it. I guarantee that Mr. Jennings in Washington D.C. is not reading the Bonners Ferry Herald or listening to the “top of the hour news by Mike Brown” on 1450 KBFI.

It is for these reasons that district one needs you, as a state senator, to fight for less federal intervention in public schools. By participating in the fight, you will be representing those who voted you in. Thank you so much for serving us living in north Idaho.

Sincerely,

Erin Hiatt

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your stance. Every place in America is different and has different needs....

    Second paragraph, your statement in parenthesis, I think you mean to say technically not "techniquely".

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was a totally awesome persuasive letter! You really know your stuff about your community and your government, and I as the reader can really see that. I didn't even know anything about the Kevin Jennings situation before I read this, but if Mr. Keough isn't convinced, I sure was! I liked the small-town touch in the 2nd-to-last paragraph, too. I think one way you could improve it would be instead of saying, "Bonners Ferry, Idaho or Sandpoint, Idaho," you could say, "Bonners Ferry or Sandpoint, Idaho," to give it more fluency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you wrote this letter, I think it's an important one. Education should be tailored to the students as much as possible and you kept your letter clear without being threatening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Good job making it specific, telling him you support him as a senator, choosing a great tone and giving specific support for your reasons. I'd say send it to him--it's ready!

    ReplyDelete