Monday, September 13, 2010

No more construction!

Construction workers of Springville, Ut.,
First of all I would like to thank you for all the hard work you've been doing to make the roads better in Springville. I know it can't be that fun to have to be out in the hot sun all day working, especially while wearing your safety helmets and other such things needed to protect you. So, for that, I give my thanks.

Secondly I'd like to propose a request. As much as I know the construction is needed, I don't believe it is necessary to do it all at once. Springville has had major construction going on for almost 2 years now! It's gone from one big road being shut down, to a different big road being shut down. However, it's not just the big roads that are shut down. It seems that for every big road that's shut down, 10 little roads are also shut down. It wouldn't be as bad if it were just the main roads, but alas, it is not. It's every road in an area it seems, and sometimes there are no roads available to drive on and you end up taking a 30 minute detour. As much as I love making what should be a 5 minute drive into a 30 minute drive, I don't always have that much time. Therefore my proposal is not necessarily to stop the construction, but to plan it better so that not so many roads are closed down at once. Not only would this make more roads usable, but it would make it so roads weren't inaccessible for as long. Construction workers could all work on one project and get it done faster rather than working on several and having them take longer. Now I know that there's nothing you can do about the construction that is already happening, but for future projects I hope you will take this into account.

Sincerely, Selea Nielsen

5 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! I have often thought that this approach to I-15 construction would be helpful.

    In terms of the mechanics of your argument, I would wordsmith a little, and the hint of sarcasm may not help your cause succeed, but overall, very well done--I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I think the construction people did a poor job of planning what roads will be blocked and when. Every time I go up there to visit friends, I have to figure out a different route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh...just thinking about that makes me frustrated! I was just faced with the same predicament. I was driving home and found out that the main road to my house was closed for construction. So...25 minutes later I arrived at my house. It usually takes me 10 minutes to get home. I feel for you though. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you may want to consider sending this, not to the construction workers--who themselves can't really make a change...they're paid to go to work and so they go to work. However, this could be really effective if sent to the Utah Department of Transportation. They're the ones over the construction, that have made the decisions about how much is done, when, and where. Their website is udot.utah.gov. You'd have to shift the focus a little bit to them, but you'd probably be more likely to accomplish your goals.

    Good topic, and I like how invested you are in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! Amen! I'm with you! If you want to start a revolution, call me up. I'm a supporter. I agree that you should consider sending this, and I will even sign a petition or whatever else is needed. (I don't know, I'm still ignorant in this kind of thing) but I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete