Thursday, September 9, 2010

Please Send Me On a Mission

Dear Thomas S. Monson,

I just turned in my papers; I want to serve a mission, and I want to make sure you give me a call. You should send me on a mission, because I have a strong desire, testimony, and commitment to serve the Lord. Maybe turning my papers in is good enough, and you probably trust the stake president’s judgment in deciding whether someone will be an asset to the mission field or not, but I really want to tell you how important it is to me to be able to serve a mission, just in case you look at my mug up on your screen and say, “Well, I don’t know about this kid…”

I will be a good missionary, because I have wanted to go on a mission all my life. In my childhood, it almost didn’t even seem real that one day, David Armijo would be spending two years of his life in a place he’d probably never been before, preaching the Gospel. I started taking mission prep. class and going on splits with the missionaries, though, and that dream started to become a reality. I know now that I want to be in the same shoes as those missionaries I’ve gone on splits with, and I hope you’ll accept me as a laborer in the field.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you decided to write on this topic because as you mentioned, I think after the papers are in, there isn't the same explanation to do as there is with your immediate church leaders. You must be so excited and congrats on choosing a mission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm! I really like the beginning of the second paragraph because I can imagine a little David Armijo pretending to be a missionary because that is his dream! I remember you talking about waiting for your mission call today! I'm excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this shows your zeal well. You went beyond what most pre-missionaries do and went directly to the President himself. I'm glad you're excited to go on a mission. I'm rather jealous; I have to wait another two years before I can go on my mission. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those days. I promise it won't disappoint! Keep that zeal and excitement until day 730 on your mission!
    The best part: He WILL call you on a mission! So you WILL get your chance to prove what you just wrote.

    ReplyDelete