Monday, September 13, 2010

Student Awareness of BYU History

Adam Beus
Beus.adam@gmail.com
509-770-3133

Dear Office of First-Year Students:
First of all, I would like to thank you for all you do to support new students here at BYU, I feel that you do much good in helping students figure things out and adapt to college life. I had the opportunity to attend some of the New Student Orientation and found it useful, informative, and fun, a big help for new students.
During NSO I especially enjoyed the Education in Zion presentation which helped me learn more about the history of BYU. I feel that the information presented in that presentation was very valuable for us students today and that more of us ought to be aware of what great a blessing it is to study here; therefore I am glad that you give all freshmen a chance to catch a glimpse at how BYU has been a huge blessing for so many people in the past and will continue to bless lives. I had a positive experience and encourage you to continue presenting the Education in Zion to future students.
I realize that you have fine-tuned NSO to make it especially effective and useful for new students, but I suggest putting more emphasis on the history of BYU which is very rich and often overlooked by students who take their opportunity to study here for granted. I think students would have a lot fewer problems staying dedicated to their schoolwork if they just realized what an amazing place this is and how lucky they are to study here. Most problems in education I think arise from ingratitude for opportunities, and no one at BYU should be ungrateful; knowing the history of their school better would be a good way for them to always be grateful to study here. One idea would be inviting a BYU graduate of long ago to share some of their experiences of studying here, or maybe even more recent BYU graduates who excelled in their studies here. Whatever you decide to do, I am grateful for your time and hope you consider my suggestion. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Adam Beus

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your letter because this was one of the hardest things for me too. You speak for many of us who struggled with adapting to college life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's my my goal this week! To be grateful for as many things as I can, thank you for reminding me of another thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with the comments above! Going to school at BYU-Provo is such a valuable opportunity! There are kids all over the world who want to come here. Here, we are the kids who made it! We shouldn't take it for granted. This was great! Like j.grober6 said, thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very greatful for the oppurtunity to go to school here, however, I must say I honestly know very little of the history of the school. Though it wasn't the purpose of your letter, you have persuaded me into looking into that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job mixing your recommendations with your suggestions for improvement--it shows them that you're grateful for what they've done and only want to help them.

    ReplyDelete