Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Two Halves to a Whole

Hola Parentals!
So college is going well; I’ve bought my supplies, and even used them properly. I’m learning a lot and I am enjoying Provo, for the most part. I’m finding out just how much reading and writing you have to do in college. I’m very glad that I decided to get this netbook laptop for school. It has been very helpful. It makes all-nighters a possibility. Not that your ever so awesome son needs to pull all-nighters, I always do my homework first thing and I never procrastinate.
I have come to realize though that a laptop is only a half to a bigger whole. Maybe more like two thirds, or even three quarters, but that’s beside the point. The point I want to make is how many papers are actually printed here. At least one paper has to be turned in every day in my Book of Mormon class, and that’s my easiest class. There are places to print on campus, but it costs 7 cents per page, and they are constantly crowded right before class time; therefore, printing before class becomes quite the burden, and printing afterwards causes a loss of points and a tardy to my next class.
In my infinite (and humble) wisdom, I have thought out a plan. Now, before you say “He wants us to spend money on him”, please wait a minute. I recognize that you have helped me very much in coming to college, and providing me with many supplies, as well as a lot of food. I am very grateful for such nice acts on your part. My proposal is to use the credit card rewards system to receive a coupon for a printer at either Office Depot or Staples. I know that you have used said system before to purchase other school items, and I also know that your points sometimes also go wasted. I realize that I am asking you to make a sacrifice, but considering how Chance and Konner no longer need school supplies, and you two have your office supplies provided, it shouldn’t be a big problem. I will even pay the price the coupon won’t cover, as well as paper and ink. I can pick even it up when I come down to visit for the first time, which will be in two weekends during the 100 year homecoming game.
I’m not asking for an answer right now, I’m simply asking that you think about the benefits I will have by being able to print from my apartment, whenever I need to. Not only that, but by the time Logan gets back in two years, I should be married and I will no longer need this printer. That way, it can be passed down to either Logan or Chance. This printer isn’t only an investment in me, but in your other children as well.
Now I must get back to doing my homework, but thank you for your time and for considering my proposal. You guys rock. Send my love to my brothers and the dogs as well. Talk to you soon.


Love,
Skyler

3 comments:

  1. Well-planned, Skyler. Structured, organized, relevant, and also very logical. I have used similar lines of argument with my parents, though my dad, a lawyer, doesn't buy much into my rhetoric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Mont said everything that I was about to say in a more effective way haha you brought up so many reasons why they should use Credit Card points for a printer! I also really enjoyed how you not only showed your parents how practical and rational you are but how grateful and humble you are. Kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Printing off of blackboard is only 3 cents a page in the basement of the JFSB.

    ReplyDelete