Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dancing with the Byu Dance Teams

So they think they can dance? Well, let’s be honest they have the talent to dance but some of them need to refine their performance skills. As I was watching the performance of world of dance; I began to ponder how the judges on a show like do you think you can dance, or dancing with the stars would judge a performance like this.
Let us take the international folk dancers performance first. The choreographing on these dances was wonderful; they really got the native dance down to a science. The dancers were in sync with one another, the music choice was magnificent. They surprised me how talented they were. There were a couple of minor errors here or there but I can understand that with the first performance of the season. During the performance one of the dances lost part of their streamers on their hat. He handled the situation very professionally. I applaud the group for their professionalism and precise execution. I would give them an eight out of ten.
The ballroom team hand a splendid performance. I really enjoyed their theatre arts piece. They had excellent lifts and great timing. I was surprised when looking at the program that their music choice for the piece was a hymn. I believed you couldn’t be able to dance to the hymns, wow was I proven wrong. All together I believe this group performed well and they deserve a seven out of ten.
Third the ballet team’s performance was average to sub-par. The music choice was horrendous. Ballet should not be performed to modern music! They had a performance where they danced to this nature song. I have never been so board in my life; I would rather go to the opera than watch that again. Next they decided to go with a 1920’s song. They looked like dime-store floozies doing pirouettes and chasses. These performers have great talent, but ballet is for classical or baroque music. I would give this group a four out of ten.
Finally the modern dance team’s performance was unoriginal. They performed a satirical waltz which was done several years earlier by the ballroom team. Although it was humorous please come up with something new and original. Their other numbers where basic and extremely long. Like modern art, modern dance should not be included with the countless great dance performers. I give this group a two out of ten.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I would not want to perform in front of you. It sounds like you know your dance though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the ballet pieces. I think you're opinion is valid, but I thought it was a well-executed blend of classical form with modern style. It seemed almost like an update of sorts, so that more people could appreciate it. I respect the tradition of ballet as well, so I see your point, but I also place a lot of value in adaptability. They put ballet into a new setting, and in my opinion they pulled it off well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how your writing is analytsical in such a way that allows for criticism as well. I guess analyzing means looking at both the strong and weak points. I never feel like an expert enough to bring up things that might have been weaker. Good analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you rated each group. It gave the reader an understanding specifically how you felt about their overall performance. I got distracted by a few mispelled words but I understood your general message. haha I second Erin's comment!

    ReplyDelete