Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Madness in great ones must not unwatch'd go. (Hamlet III,i,186)

Don't worry, it won't bite.

All kidding aside, to me greatness means coming closer to one's true self. Those around us can see that spark of greatness, the person we all wish to embody. To become that person it takes time, self discipline, and personal reflection.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

The drive that makes one great is not the desire to become great; it is to do ones part, essentially to stand where one is and lift. We each have goals, desires, and attitudes that will lend each of us greatness. The greatness may never be seen by the individual, it takes others to look from the outside. My dad is a hero to me, he is truly great. He has been a busy man doing his best to make everything work and found his greatness. He knows when to put his nose down and work, when to have fun, when to teach, and when to learn.

To me, greatness can be tangible, just like the color red or a flour less chocolate cake. Greatness can be felt by anyone when in the presence of it. Greatness is an attitude that comes through dedication and hard work; like anything else greatness doesn't come just for a wish.

Truly greatness must come through chess.

Oops I hit the silly button again, you'll have to forgive me. I don't think I can ever live up to greatness now.

"The price of greatness is responsibility." -Winston Churchill

Greatness is exactly that, it requires focus and desire to improve those around you, to be a light in darkness. Greatness comes naturally to some, like a trait they are born with. Greatness can be developed by all, there is no end to greatness.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your allusion to Pres. Uchtdorf's talk "Lift where you stand." I don't know if that was intentional but I loved it and it hit me hard. Being great is lifting where we stand - something I haven't thought of before, but really makes sense.

    ReplyDelete