Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just Dance

I have never been much of a dancer. As much as it shames my mother, I’ve always been a bit of a “gringa” when it comes to dancing. I can’t move my hips; I over-think the beat; my movements are of a long time nerd. Nevertheless, or perhaps because of that, I have a healthy admiration for dancers. I’ve always enjoyed dance movies and I was actually looking forward to the World of Dance.

The performance did not disappoint. For the first part of the show, I sat spell-bound by the dancers’ control, finesse, and coordination. I was especially impressed by the ballet dancers. Although the dance itself wasn’t too exciting, it displayed the dancers’ skill well. The precision of the movements and the control of their limbs must have taken years to develop.

As for what happened after the first half… Who can forget the scooters? The whole tone of the performance so far had been serious. There were fun and exciting dances, but serious in that they were exactly what they appeared to be. The scooter dance appeared to be serious at first. A guy in a tuxedo moves -beautifully, solemnly, gracefully- across the stage. Then he goes offstage and out comes another guy in a tuxedo. Only this time, he has a scooter with doll in a cocktail dress attached to it. It has been awhile since I laughed so hard. I loved how the dancers were confident enough to go ahead and make fun of dancing itself.

World of Dance was able to put together such a variety of different styles and put it together for one spectacular show. So as a result of seeing the World of Dance, I think I’m going to try a little harder in my Zumba classes.

1 comment: