Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Humor Makes the Rest Better

The World of Dance performance was very impressive to me. Judging just by the sheer talent of the dancers, it was a marvelous show. However, for many of us who may not comprehend or be as appreciative of the finer things in choreography, the performance was still outstanding because they were able to cater to a diverse audience through their various dances. Many similar performances would put me to sleep but I think that theirs was particularly effective because of the insertion of several humorous dances.
For me the first comical dance was very timely, coming at a point in the production when I needed a break. In this dance the performers pretended to be spreading rumors through whispering in each other’s ears. Although perhaps this scene did not showcase the amazing athleticism and gracefulness of the dancers, it was the most entertaining to me. The exaggerated expressions of the dancers and the speed at which the dance developed made it interesting. Many of the other dances were impressive for the synchronization, but this one was a good changeup for the viewers – each dancer acted as an individual and showed a unique personality through his/her behavior. With each performer doing his own thing, it was difficult to know who to pay the most attention to, and, as a viewer, I found myself constantly scanning over all of them to see what was going on. These dances are good for keeping the audience focused on the production.
Another dance that kept my interest was the scooter dance. The effect of this dance was also made particularly effective by its timing, in between some other serious dances and also by the acting of the dancers who took it so seriously. Possibly this number would be offensive or at the least uninteresting to a profession dancer but I think it was useful for keeping the attention of the audience, which probably had few experts in choreography in it. What really makes this dance stand out though is the unexpectedness of it. After having watched a good portion of the performance, I had a few laughs and was also impressed by the dancing, but I did not expect such a performance, for me it was pleasant surprise.
While of course it would have been inappropriate for the whole performance be pure humor and fun, without these aspects the performance, many viewers might have tuned out after a while. Personally for me, it helped me to appreciate the rest of the production and want to stay tuned for the entire time.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree. The humor spread throughout kept the diverse audience awake and attentive. I loved that aspect as well. I'm glad you wrote on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you have a really good point. I think many would agree that the injections of other aspects of performance into the show kept many attentive and broke up what would be long amounts of dancing that may not be as captivating to many. Good review.

    ReplyDelete