Tuesday, October 12, 2010

We're off to see the wizard...

Before Jake Sully traveled to Pandora, before Frodo inherited the One Ring, and even before Luke bought C-3PO and R2-D2 (how is Star Wars not on the list?) there was a little girl named Dortothy, and her dog Toto who lived in Kansas. I may be a little biased, because my mom absolutely loves this movie and has more Wizard of Oz Christmas ornaments than any other ornament combined, but The Wizard of Oz was one of the first Technicolor movies to be produced and may be the single most influential movie of all time.

I remember watching this movie frequently as a child, with the myriad of characters and the changes of scenery and even the color changes. It made for a magical experience being the first fantasy movie I remember seeing. Even though it never made a serious profit during it’s time in the movie theaters, this movie has made $10-$20 million since its original theatrical release; most of its money was made in a time when tickets were less expensive and not in a wide release setting. If you want to talk about some serious legs, this is the movie that sets the standard.

4 comments:

  1. Only the intro. I had to write a 4 page paper earlier. Don't judge too harshly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Well, it's not too bad... no really, it's just fine. Ouch! 2:00 am! I feel for ya, man!
    So I like the beginning a lot, it brings out the movie's originality. Also, the personal experience is really good.
    The last sentence in the 1st paragraph is funky. How can you be biased about how it was the 1st technicolor movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, you and Mont joke about recognizing each others papers early on, it doesn't take long to recognize you in this one, does it? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the topic of your essay! I never thought that the Wizard of Oz would be considered a Great Work. Thank you for being this to my attention! I never realized how spectacular the Wizard of Oz is as a film and for its time period. I especially like the personal background you added about your mom! It made me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete