Monday, October 11, 2010

Much Ado About Nothing

Personal Reflection:

Not only did I have a chance to read or see Much Ado About Nothing, but I was stage manager for it and I also got to be in it earlier this year. It was such a great experience. Often when we read or see Shakespeare we get the gist of what’s going on, but we don’t understand a lot of the little things or many of the lines for that matter. It’s hard to understand what’s actually being said because Shakespeare wrote in such a different way than we are used to hearing today. Since I was stage manager I got to see and read the play MANY times. Each time I was able to make sense of something else and it made the play that much more enjoyable. Also, when the actors didn’t understand what they were saying we would look it up and translate it to modern day English. This also helped me to understand it much better. Before this I didn’t really like Much Ado, or much of Shakespeare for that matter, but now Much Ado is one of my favorite plays. It has so many jokes hidden in the lines that – once discovered – make it a rather enjoyable show.



That's me being in the play (: Mostly I just added this picture because I love it... Hopefully it can brighten someones day (:

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Selea, I was looking for a nice short post to ease myself back in to my blog-commenting mode and, "BOOM!" there yours was.

    Short and to-the-point. You connected the play to your individual experience and how you grew from your encounter with the work. That's what the reflection is all about.

    It's particularly good that you emphasized how the great work changed you. You can find something to be a brilliant masterpiece, but if it doesn't change you, what was the ultimate point of your encounter?

    PS: My previous post incorrectly identified Much Ado as a film, not a play. I apologize, my mind is still in film-critique mode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you add credibility by telling us how muhc experience you've had with the play, plus the fact that you got so into it makes the reader want to know more. Good job, are the middle one?

    ReplyDelete