Tuesday, October 5, 2010

R.I.P. Richard Parker

My Current Introduction

Life is not all about not-dying. Dying . . . well, none of us really know what dying is all about. Life of Pi is about dying -- brutally, graphically, slowly. It is also about not dying. Pi declares his own independence of death on the fifth page of the novel. He "mocks" the ever present skull in his life saying, "You've got the wrong fellow. You may not believe in life, but I don't believe in death. Move on!" Pi has seen, heard, smelled, touched and tasted death. The two have been formally introduced and are now well-acquainted. And I'm sure Death knows that Pi still doesn't believe in him. The real question is does Pi believe in life.

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! The opening sentence is a little confusing though...unless you're trying to make the reader think about what he's reading, then I think you did your job right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing intro. Loved it, really gets you hooked and looking for more. I'm excited to see where you go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to what Erin and Shannon said! I may suggest that in the first sentence it may be more clear if you say, "is not" instead of "isn't". I don't think it would make a huge difference but personally I find that it would be more formal to write "is not".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, in the second sentence, I think know fits better than knows. I love it so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Jenny! Thank you Shannon and Erin! I went back and forth on the is not and isn't trying to decide which would be more clear, so I really appreciate your advice, same with my known/knows dilemma. :) Thanks for being specific.

    ReplyDelete