Monday, October 18, 2010

DOVE: What Our Hair Says about Us

As soon as I read the title of this article, I thought of my mom. My mom has been dyeing her hair for several years now. That must be what caught my interest, the idea that I might be able to relate through my observations of how it has affected my mom. The general audience that I felt the blogger was trying to reach was self-conscious middle-aged women. Dove typically advertises to maintaining a healthy appearance. For the most part, I think women are more concerned with their appearances than men are. Of course, this is a generalization because I'm sure there are some men who are very concerned with their appearances. The rhetoric situation is feeling comfortable with oneself and hairstyle. One's hairstyle illustrates how one feels inside. Some examples the blogger gave were her during her twenties, she would wear her hair long, curly, and wild but then she had children, she cut it short so it would be more manageable while taking care of two kids, then there was a young kid who had a blue mohawk may be expressing that they are an individual, and then last but not least she expresses how she used to dye her hair to hide her age but now that she is comfortable with her age, she has let her silvery-gray hair grow out. She feels that her hair appropriately illustrates how she feels as an individual, confident, mature, and natural. A few implications about the audience are that they know someone who has dyed their hair to hide their age or convey a particular mind set, seen someone who has used their hair to express themselves as an individual, and/or have had personal experiences struggling with hair styles.

4 comments:

  1. Hello run-on sentence! Pick up the narrative pace; don't make it sound like you're just answering a string of questions, make it more like an analytical conversation. Original topic, good relatability overall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, your response felt appropriate. I didn't like the last sentence, though. It just didn't flow right. There were a few other places where things lost their flow as well.

    But the overall content of your writing was insightful--you broke down the campaign and what each element meant in terms of its rhetorical objectives.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my hair! Haha but great job on responding and giving your opinion on who you think the writer was trying to get to. I agree with both the comments above and believe some grammatical structuring needs to be corrected but it doesn't make it a poor piece. I loved it :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you really elaborated on the different types of audiences and how each style of hair relates. I would like to hear what you think the audience feels when reading this... Do you think they are encouraged to become comfortable with their hair or does this imply that they are already comfortable and that's why they should use this product?

    ReplyDelete