Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Great Works Paper for Life of Cake--I mean Pi


Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Science--all are dominant systems of belief around the world today. But which one is correct? Must there be just one? Can they all exist together harmoniously? Such are the questions contemplated by Life of Pi’s main character Pi Patel.

Before writing Life of Pi, the author Yann Martel said he had been going through a difficult period in his life. In an interview concerning the book, Martel tells of how he was lonely, and believed he had no direction in his life. He wrote Life of Pi to help him cope with these issues and opened up his mind to new possibilities. During his lifetime, Martel has traveled to countries all over the world, and has ventured to India on multiple occasions. India is an absurdly populated country and as such, is full of various religions and beliefs. Hinduism, Islam, and Christianity are the three most populated religions in that region. It can be assumed that during his time of personal exploration he thought back upon these religions and contemplated each one’s respectable attributes, realizing that none were evil or entirely incorrect. This is a parallel to the character Pi and his search for what he believed to be truth.

Although Pi Patel seems an insignificant little Indian boy, he completely reshapes the way the world looks at beliefs. He begins the story as a Hindu, but curiosity urges him to learn about other religions as well, and eventually becomes Christian and Islam. Pi is much more at peace with himself and the world when he becomes a member of these beliefs, but the world is not at peace with him. No member of his family can understand why he has interest in these religions. The three different theological leaders chastise him for his ways and each claim truth in their own religion. In essence, each argument states that all of Pi’s beliefs cannot coexist. To these jibes, Pi responds by saying, “All religions are true. I just want to love God.” The religious scholars are at a loss for words at this point, and surely they can not rebuke him for simply wanting fill his life with more love.

This whole religious situation is symbolically foreshadowing Pi Patel’s future. After a tragic accident sailing from India to Canada, Pi becomes stranded in the middle of the ocean on a lifeboat with nobody for company but a monstrous Bengal tiger. All logic says that only one of these survivors can live while the other dies. For a time, Pi is convinced of the idea and said, “I hatched several plans to get rid of him so that the lifeboat might be mine.” Upon further deliberation, he realizes that any plan to free himself of Richard Parker would lead to disaster, and his only chance for survival is to keep him alive. Against all odds, he lives on the lifeboat with the tiger for months. Against all odds, Pi becomes an engaged member of three religions.

For me, this was a truly humbling book to read. I feel that I can easily get along with and be accepting of any personality type, but I can’t say the same for accepting the beliefs of others. I have difficult time patiently listening to others’ policies on religion, relationships, politics, and other ideas when I believe that I know what is right. At the point in the novel where the imam, the priest, and the pandit become angry with Pi, I became upset with them and was hurt that they would be so unking to Pi. This was, of course, until I realized I was being entirely hypocritical and that to others I may sometimes appear as the religious leaders did to Pi.

Pi taught me that it is not only important, but crucial to accept the convictions of others. At first, Richard Parker and Pi Patel seemed to go together as well as pickles and marshmallow fluff, but later realized that they needed each other to survive. Though I was not struggling for direction like the author Yann Martel was, we both learned valuable lessons from Life of Pi. From now on, I will make it a commitment to myself to be full of love towards those around me even when our beliefs may not entirely agree.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's pretty much all three sections. And your title is... interesting.

    I would review your sentences; some feel a bit awkward in their construction, essentially as it pertains to word choice.

    There were a few concepts that you brought up that I would love to hear more about, and there were a few huge ideas that are almost revelatory--just a bit more and they would really "pop."

    Overall, though, a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You summed up the entire essay quite nicely, putting in all the necessary requirements. I sometimes found myself getting a little confusing at the beginning of your paragraphs. I think you should focus a little more on how you introduce each section to make them stand out. I agree with Mont, a little more detail would be nice. Great job.

    ReplyDelete