Monday, October 18, 2010

My my my, what a large set of teeth you have...

When your audience potentially includes roughly 14 million members of a congregation, plus members from the LGBT community, followed by enemies of the church, it can be a daunting task to come to grips with writing to the audience.

The majority of the audience can be broken down into two groups: the LGBT community and members of the church (probably in the U.S. and Canada). Of the later, there are 3 groups: those who are indifferent, those who are offended, those who support Pres. Packer.

Writing to the LGBT community would be the biggest challenge because they were the ones who took the most offense. Those of the church who took offense were probably offended for different reasons than the LGBT community. Those who are supportive or indifferent on the matter could not have been very hard to communicate to. All of the above had to be taken into consideration while trying to keep everyone happy, unoffended, yet remain true to the doctrine; teaching doctrine and not offending can sometimes be difficult in this world; many can be looking to shred you to pieces.

4 comments:

  1. I love the title!

    Your comprehensive breakdown of the audiences for the press release was great. I would recommend going into a bit more detail the next time around; it felt very preliminary and brushed-over. There's more you can, and should say.

    But it was a nice quick read. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that instead of using the acronym LGBT every time. State once in your paragraph the "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual" community so one does not have to Google it to figure out what it is, which is what I did. Other than that, great analysis! I look forward to reading your final draft if I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah your title definitely caught my attention! :)

    I really liked this statement, " All of the above had to be taken into consideration while trying to keep everyone happy, unoffended, yet remain true to the doctrine; teaching doctrine and not offending can sometimes be difficult in this world; many can be looking to shred you to pieces." I personally thought it somewhat restated itself and it might be beneficial to break it down a little. I love it so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *I also like that you neatly summarized this whole situation in the last statement.

    ReplyDelete