Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mozart's Requiem (Historical draft)

Mozart’s Requiem was written at the end of Mozart’s life. No one really knows how much is really Mozart’s and how much is Sussmayr’s and Eybler’s but generally people today accept Mozart’s Requiem as Mozart’s.

It’s believed that he had only fully completed the very first movement with bits and pieces of other movements. Mozart had been writing the score on behalf of Franz Von Walsegg, whose wife had recently died. Constanze, Mozart’s own wife, asked Joseph con Eybler to finish Mozart’s Requiem so she could collect the payment. From the change in style and similar in Eybler’s own compositions, it’s believed that Eybler worked on the better part of the entire requiem moving through Dies Ire up to Lacrimosa, (both very renowned movements). However he admitted that he couldn’t complete the work and gave it back to Constaze, who found Franz Xaver Sussmayr. Sussmayr had already been helping the dying Mozart with his final work and working off of Eybler’s work completed the task, ending the Requiem with Mozart’s original work but put to new words.

The words that are used in Mozart’s Requiem have their own meaning as well. It’s been speculated that Mozart knew of his approaching death and as he was writing the Requiem put his own feelings into the composition. Requiem is a mass that is for the deceased, quite literally a funeral service in Latin. It's almost as if he were writing it for himself. A translation is as follows: (if you care to read it)


Grant them eternal rest, Lord,
and let perpetual light shine on them.
You are praised, God, in Zion,
and homage will be paid to You in Jerusalem.
Hear my prayer,
to You all flesh will come.
Grant them eternal rest, Lord,
and let perpetual light shine on them

Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.

Day of wrath, day of anger
will dissolve the world in ashes,
as foretold by David and the Sibyl.


Great trembling there will be
when the Judge descends from heaven
to examine all things closely.

The trumpet will send its wondrous sound
throughout earth's sepulchres
and gather all before the throne.

Death and nature will be astounded,
when all creation rises again,
to answer the judgement.
A book will be brought forth,
in which all will be written,
by which the world will be judged.

When the judge takes his place,
what is hidden will be revealed,
nothing will remain unavenged.

What shall a wretch like me say?
Who shall intercede for me,
when the just ones need mercy?

King of tremendous majesty,
who freely saves those worthy ones,
save me, source of mercy.

Remember, kind Jesus,
my salvation caused your suffering;
do not forsake me on that day.

Faint and weary you have sought me,
redeemed me, suffering on the cross;
may such great effort not be in vain.

Righteous judge of vengeance,
grant me the gift of absolution
before the day of retribution.

I moan as one who is guilty:
owning my shame with a red face;
suppliant before you, Lord.

You, who absolved Mary,
and listened to the thief,
give me hope also.

My prayers are unworthy,
but, good Lord, have mercy,
and rescue me from eternal fire.

Provide me a place among the sheep,
and separate me from the goats,
guiding me to Your right hand.

When the accused are confounded,
and doomed to flames of woe,
call me among the blessed.

I kneel with submissive heart,
my contrition is like ashes,
help me in my final condition

That day of tears and mourning,
when from the ashes shall arise,
all humanity to be judged.
Spare us by your mercy, Lord,
gentle Lord Jesus,
grant them eternal rest. Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, King of glory,
liberate the souls of the faithful,
departed from the pains of hell
and from the bottomless pit.
Deliver them from the lion's mouth,
lest hell swallow them up,
lest they fall into darkness.

Let the standard-bearer, holy Michael,
bring them into holy light.

Which was promised to Abraham
and his descendants.

Sacrifices and prayers of praise, Lord,
we offer to You.
Receive them in behalf of those souls
we commemorate today.
And let them, Lord,
pass from death to life,
which was promised to Abraham
and his descendants.

Lamb of God, who takes away
the sins of the world,
grant them eternal rest.
Lamb of God, who takes away
the sins of the world,
Grant them eternal rest.
Lamb of God, who takes away
the sins of the world,
grant them eternal rest forever.

Let eternal light shine on them, Lord,
as with Your saints in eternity,
because You are merciful.
Grant them eternal rest, Lord,
and let perpetual light shine on them,
as with Your saints in eternity,
because You are merciful.

7 comments:

  1. Really good. I can tell you studied up on this subject quite a bit. If you could make the beginning more exciting somehow, although it is a historical contextualization.... maybe put some the interesting info about how it's like it was for his own death at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with David, it needs some more "oomph" that allows it to stand out instead of reading it like a script from a documentary. I can tell that you know a lot about Mozart and I too love listening to his music. Perhaps make a connection between the church and the music. It is about Jesus Christ and many parallels could be made. Great job though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the praise that he gives to the Lord. I also think that when we realize that our time on earth is brief we appreciate him more, because I think we gain a better understanding realizing our place in this life. I have a great appreciated for this piece and some other time I'll give you the load down on why that is for me, but once again thank you for sharing Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this kinda the story from Amadeus? I've never seen the movie but I've read the script (don't ask). I agree with the boys, the beginning feels a bit choppy (maybe just because we don't have the rest of the paper), one question I might ask is why do you care about this context? What makes it important to you and how does it change the piece. Of course, for me the answer usually is just 'I thought it was interesting!'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your choice of what to write on. I just think you should include a ending of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a ton of great information that I liked reading, but like it has been said before, it does need a little personalization to make it not sound like a textbook. Good choice in work though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry guys, I fixed it in my final draft. It flows much better.

    ReplyDelete