Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Being a thoughtful writer

I've had a hard time with writing lately. I am in this English writing class and my communications classes and the two are so different. For English, writing is more about style and the technical aspects and expounding to the seemingly point of no return. Journalism is blunt and straight to the point. No fluff and no messing around. I tend to find my writing right in the middle which unfortunately means I rarely win.

Sources though, are used for all types of writing. I think my ideas are very valuable and my goal is to get my point across. But to do this, other sources are obviously needed. I believe that in both writing situations accreditation is not only important but crucial. For journalism, transparency is key in gaining the trust of readers. Anyone can make up facts but real news is supported by information from trusted sources. I believe the same goes for writing in an general English setting. The author owes it to the readers to be open about what ideas they have and what they are basing those ideas on or off. Giving accreditation to sources will only help gain trust and make for a stronger paper. If a person wants to write without being accountable, it is inherently fiction or an autobiography or opinion writing of some sort. Those all have their place, but most other papers deserve the honor of the official seal of a bibliography and correct citations which are not too hard to get together. A little effort goes a long way.

The best way to describe plagiarism in general is lame. As a writer, musician, or artist, no one would want to be in the position where their work is being used without consent. It is not only rude but can really damage the sanctity of a work. Desecration proclamation! Only the inventor can choose how a work should be used unless it is distinguished in it's context. As I help my friends write music, I see the different times when sharing is great... Like promoting a song or having it passed along and also when it is horrible - song ideas being stolen, music being illegally shared instead of bought.

Writers owe it to the readers, the people/ideas that inspire their work, and really the whole world to cite sources and be as transparent as possible. No matter what is being written about.

1 comment: